With Acclaimed Author and Painter,
See Your Stories and Characters Like a Painter!
Spend four glorious days in the zone, engaging in the playfully serious and the seriously playful flow between right brain and left through visual storytelling. The instructor will provide both writing and painting prompts to access from the infinite of imagination. Any “level” of visual art creativity is welcome and appreciated. We will produce a work of art each day and will return home from the retreat just itching and ready to complete a story.
Detail of Sassy the Goat, by Lisa Teasley-->
Lynn at a New York Window, by Lisa Teasley
This retreat is for you if:
- You want to infuse your writing with more artistry and emotion.
- You want to enter your writing more fully and more emotionally.
- You want to explore creating stories and scenes more viscerally, without the veil of language.
- You want to create a stronger connection between your left-brain (language, logic, reasoning) and right brain (emotion, intuition, creativity).
- You've heard "Show, don't tell", or "Show, then tell" from your editor so many times you want to scream.
<--Bleeding Heart, by Lisa Teasley
- Four days of hands-on writing and painting instruction, workshopping, individual consultation, and time alone in inspiring and nurturing surroundings.
- Single-occupancy lodging (four nights) in a charming, individually decorated room, in the beautiful mountain town of Idyllwild, California.
- A full gourmet breakfast each morning.
- Dinner each day (four dinners).
You'll Walk Away With:
- More vibrancy in your writing.
- The ability to create more vivid scenes in your writing.
- Several works of art that you can use as your book cover, as artwork within your book, as gifts to loved ones, or for future writing inspiration.
<--I Love Watching the Stream, by Lisa Teasley
Sunday August 10, 2014
Thursday August 14, 2014
(During the peak of the 2014 Perseid Meteor Showers!)
Strawberry Creek Inn Bed & Breakfast
26370 Highway 243
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Standard Room*: $1,029.04
Courtyard Room*: $1,205.04
Deluxe Room*: $1,249.04
Day Student: $675 (meals included)
(Includes all applicable taxes)
- a writing journal
- a favorite writing pen
- a pencil
- 3 brushes (fine, medium and full) suitable for water soluble paints
- a paint set (a child’s set of 8 to 10 colors is fine) of water color, gouache, or acrylic
- a pad of paper suitable for painting anywhere from 8” by 10” to 18” by 24” (as large or small as you would like to work).
(Some supplies may be available once you get to Idyllwild. Contact Earth n Fire for more information. Email us at email@example.com if you have questions or concerns about materials)
A native of Los Angeles and graduate of UCLA, Lisa Teasley has had one-woman shows at the Watts Towers Art Center, the Jemez Views Gallery in New Mexico, and the MNO Gallery in Los Angeles. Her group shows include the Los Angeles County Museum of Art's Rental & Sales Gallery, the Multicultural Center Gallery at the University of California, Santa Barbara and the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. She is a member of the Yams art collective, which debuted their first film at this year’s 2014 Whitney Biennial.
Lisa Teasley is an award-winning novelist, essayist, short story and documentary writer; her debut story collection GLOW IN THE DARK won the Gold Pen and the Pacificus Foundation awards, and her novels DIVE and HEAT SIGNATURE have received critical acclaim nationally and internationally from publications such as the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Village Voice, San Francisco Chronicle, and Washington Post, to name a few. Her BBC television documentary “High School Prom” has been in longterm rotation in the UK. You can find more information on her literary work at www.lisateasley.com.
Teasley’s painting career began with a summer scholarship to Otis College of Art & Design and a successful show in 1989 at the Brockman Gallery. Recognition of her early talent included a Bank of America Award for art; she has been commissioned for paintings by patrons since the age of 10.